After a 2-year hiatus due to the COVID pandemic, the ICK International returned to its original face-to-face format at the headquarters of German Youth Sport (Deutsche Sportjugend) in Frankfurt on 18th and 19th November. The conference also served as the closing event of Erasmus+ project ICOACHKIDS+ 13-18, a 3-year initiative focused on developing resources to minimise youth sport dropout and improve the quality of talent development environments across Europe and beyond.
Highlights included keynotes and practical workshops by internationally acclaimed coaches, practitioners, and coach educators including:
- Prof Joe Baker (York University, Canada)
- Prof Kevin Till (Leeds Beckett University, UK)
- Irene Faber (Netherlands Table Tennis Association & Windesheim University of Applied Science, Netherlands)
- Prof Nicolette Schipper van Veldhoven (NOC*NSF, Netherlands)
- Antje Hoffman (Institute for Applied Training Science, Head of Department for Junior Elite Sports, Germany)
- Prof Sergio Lara-Bercial (Leeds Beckett University and ICCE)
- Damir Dugandzic (German Football Association, Germany)
- Declan O’Leary (Sport Ireland, Ireland)
- Jon-Paul St. Germain (Special Olympics, USA)
- Mariette Brethouwer (Nike, Netherlands)
The event was livestreamed in 5 languages, including English, German, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. All sessions are now available from the ICK YouTube channel.
One of the highlights was the launch of our two new FREE massive open online courses helping coaches understand how to minimise dropout and create holistic talent development environments.
ICOACHKIDS Global Movement Committee Chair Sheelagh Quinn from Sport Ireland Coaching was delighted with the event:
“The 6th ICK Conference was all we hoped it would be and more, with 160 delegates in attendance from over 21 countries. Over the two days we heard from a wealth of experts, national and international, who shared their experience and passion with the delegates. Together we can support coaches to ensure that “every child has access to positive sport experiences that foster a love for sport and physical activity” and to be the champions of sport policy, education, and practice that PUTS KIDS FIRST”.
ICOACHKIDS Co-founder Prof Sergio Lara-Bercial commented:
“The quality of speakers and content delivered at our 6th ICK international conference was second-to-none. We are excited to see the extent at which the ICK family and global movement is growing and would like to extend a huge thank you to our colleagues at German Youth Sport (Deutsche Sportjugend) for hosting such a fantastic event”.